Friday, December 26, 2008

What a failure I am

First and foremost, I should apologize for the abyssmal state of this blog. I have not dropped off the face of the Earth, but rather have just been too damned lazy to post. So, in order to make it up to you fine folks, I shall post two! Aren't you lucky! This first one is just general posts as to what I have been doing over the past two months...in point form!

- Korean weddings are really weird. They last about 1 hour and 30 minutes from start to the end of the reception and it's set up kind of like a well-oiled machine: you stand around for a bunch, the ceremony beings (which they proceed to tell everyone who is present how lucky the bride is to marry this groom), they do some silly things, pictures are taken and you are shuffled off to the reception where you need to eat quickly so they can clean up before the next wedding. The wedding itself was in this nice hall with lots of flowers and it was quite sweet. However, the entire ceremony was a joke compared to North American weddings. As for the reception...picture a cafeteria, and that's what it was like. I really can't complain though, I got a free meal and an interesting experience out of it.

- About a month and a bit ago I decided I was going to make a silly purchase with my first paycheck. I decided on a DSLR and went out with Andrew and Riley in order to hunt for one at this electronics market called Yongsan. After getting there and scoping out the prices, they were a bit more than what I was expecting, so I sulked away all bummed out that I wasn't going to buy something with my newly acquired funds...then I bought a PS3. We went to the video game section and I managed to score a white 40GB PS3 with two Dualshock controllers, an HDMI cable, Little Big Planet, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Resistance 2 and Dead Space for 666000 won (which I found hilarious). So, part of the reason that I have been too lazy to update my blog is due to this glorious machine. Be jealous of me! Next up: camera and a tv (possibly...).

- I mentioned in my last post that I have been taking Korean lessons; that has ceased. I have picked up a few phrases here and there, so I am not COMPLETELY hopeless in Korea now, but I just can't be bothered to go anymore. I would rather spend my saturdays exploring and gaming than learning. Take that education!

- We have stumbled across a few other cool bars here over the past little while. The first one is called the Fish and Grill. This place is not really a fish place, but it is a fried food joint! It's pretty much the equivalent of a regular bar back home and they serve delicious food and FANTASTIC soju drinks mixed with amazing fruit juices. Damn cool. The second bar is called Bar Oi. Now, this place doesn't really have any signs anywhere, but once you've found it, you hit the jackpot. It basically looks like a melting cave and is reminiscent of the milk bar from Clockwork Orange; they have hookas, booze, cool music, and an amazing atmosphere which has made it one of my favourite bars ever. Bar Oi, I love you.

- After the Yeogio party, I have hung out with that stellar guitar player I mentioned. His name is Greg and he is a really cool guy and lives on the North side of the city. We have also vowed to jam together soon (I think this upcoming weekend). Also, I met a few other people there that night from England: Elly, Darren, Luke and Louise. They all work South of the city and are a damned riot to hang out with.

That's it for the mini update! Check in next time for a full scale assault on what has been happening recently.

No comments: